- What is an addon?
- What if I just want to use - not build - an addon?
- What is a Custom AddOn?
- What is a Partner AddOn?
- Who can build an addon for BEE?
- Can a Custom AddOn become a Partner AddOn
- Where are addons visibile in the BEE editor UI?
- What kind of content block can an addon generate?
- How do I know when new addons become available?
What is an addon?
An addon is an application that extends the functionality of the BEE editor.
Software companies can both use addons and build addons.
You use an addon when you need a new feature for BEE (e.g. you want your end-users to be able to insert a countdown timer in an email) and find an addon that meets your needs. You will search, find, and install addons in the BEE Plugin Developer Portal, in the application configuration area. The end-user experience will vary depending on the addon.
In some case you might decide to build addons for BEE. In that case:
- When you create an addon for yourself, it’s called a Custom AddOn.
- If you build an addon for any application that uses BEE, then it’s a Partner AddOn.
What if I just want to use - not build - an addon?
That’s precisely why we’re excited about addons: companies like yours can easily turn on all kinds of additional features (i.e. addons), with minimal effort. You will find, select, and install the addons that meet your needs directly from within the BEE Plugin Developer Portal.
- The Partner AddOn Directory will go live by mid-March, 2020. Sign up to receive updates from us on this.
- You will access the directory from within the BEE Plugin Developer Portal, from the Details page of any application that you have created.
- There will be several addons listed that will help your end-users with things like countdown timers, dynamic maps, personalized cards, etc. (here is an example)
- You will be able to install many addons with just a few clicks (but some addons will require that you become a customer of the addon provider and obtain an API key).
- You will be able to customize things like the name of the feature shown to your end-users in the Content tab of the editor, the icon used, etc.
What is a Custom AddOn?
A Custom AddOn is an addon that you developed for your own use. You developed it to provide your own end-users with new features by extending the BEE editor, and those features may not make sense for any other application.
You will be able to install your custom addons on your own BEE Plugin applications. No other BEE Plugin customer (no other SaaS application that has embedded BEE) will see it.
These addons are not listed in the Partner AddOn Directory, unlike Partner AddOns.
What is a Partner AddOn?
A Partner AddOn is an addon that you developed for any BEE Plugin customer that wishes to take advantage of it.
You created it to provide end-users of any application that has embedded BEE with new features that extend the BEE editor.
Any BEE Plugin customer will see it and will be able to install it, as Partner AddOns are listed in the Partner AddOn Directory.
For details on building Partner AddOns, please see Partner AddOns.
Who can build an addon for BEE?
To build an addon you need an eligible BEE Plugin plan, including any one of the following:
If you are on a lower-level plan and wish to test building an addon for BEE, contact your Customer Success Manager and they can help you create a developer application on a higher plan. The process is very simple: you will log into the BEE Plugin Developer Portal, create a child app (developer app) for any production application, and ask your CSM to upgrade to a higher plan.
The Developer-only plan is for those that are interested in building addons that can be used by any Web application that has embedded BEE. We call them Partner AddOns.
Can a Custom AddOn become a Partner AddOn
Yes, that’s exactly the process of developing an addon that is available to the entire community of applications that have embedded the BEE editor.
Just remember that – technically speaking – you can only use the iFrame Method when developing a Partner AddOn. So a Custom AddOn that you want to later list in the Partner AddOn Directory, must be developed that way.
Where are addons visibile in the BEE editor UI?
As of January 2020, addons become visible as new tiles in the Content tab.
An example would be a Giphy tile (you can see it in the Content tab in the screenshot below) that can be dragged to the editing stage to allow a BEE user to search, find and insert a GIF animation into the message or page they are designing.
In the future we may develop new types of addons that may impact other areas of the editor. If you have specific ideas or requests, certainly let us know.
In the meantime, here is an example of the end-user experience with addons.
What kind of content block can an addon generate?
As of February, 2020, you can generate two kinds of content with an addon:
- An image content block
- A custom HTML content block
A countdown timer or a live map, for example, they will mostly likely be image content blocks in BEE.
For details, see: AddOn Development
How do I know when new addons become available?
Sign up to receive updates from us.
We email rather infrequently, and it’s typically about things that are important to BEE Plugin customers.
It’s one newsletter you don’t want to miss 🙂